Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Lexington
If you just bought your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s a wonderful time for you and your family. You might be thinking about all the ways you should customize your residence with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too far, make certain you examine home security too. Keeping the ones you care about shielded from harm should always be a top priority, and we’ll show you the way with the following safety tips for new homeowners in Lexington.
Conduct a safety review of your new Lexington property
Now that safety is top of mind, find out what your new home has in place. To begin, make certain you have operational smoke detectors. Inspect each one and switch out batteries if needed. Are there CO detectors? Is there a water sensor downstairs? This is also an excellent time to replace door locks and check all locks on windows. Go through every space and get to know your new home.
Smart security tips for your Lexington home
Once you’ve completed your preliminary check of safety alarms and locks, you should consider elevating your protection. Get started with these security tips for your home in Lexington.
- Invest in a full-featured home security system. One of the smartest tools for new homeowners in Lexington is a home security system. Today’s wireless technology lets you keep an eye on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You are able to scan up-to-the-second video feeds, engage entry locks, and even talk to guests on your front steps right from your cell phone. You can even personalize your defense with incredible security implements like video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade exterior lighting. Exterior lights with motion detectors are a smart way to discourage prospective invaders. You can even use them in conjunction with video cameras. The tripping of a motion sensor can tell your surveillance to start recording.
- Keep your property neat. Do you have an unobstructed sightline of your property from the interior? Are there large trees and bushes obstructing your view? Get rid of potential areas to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Make friends with folks on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friends with people around you, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll advise you if they see suspicious behavior. You might also connect to your community’s social media page if one is available.
- Utilize home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it look like you’re inside by activating smart lights at programmed moments. This is a fantastic feature when you’re at work or on vacation.